On May 11, 2018, Mike Fair will lead a trip into the Eastern Sierras to visit the Bodie Ghost town and other areas in the majestic mountains.
Dates: May 11,12,13, 2018
Meetup Time: 11:00 am
Meetup Location: 410 N. Main St Lone Pine Ca 93545.
- Park next to Shell Gas next to the park - Gas Prices 3.66 3.86 3.96
- GPS coordinates - 36*36.4721N 118* 3.8404W
Friday -Travel to meet up the spot in Lone Pine.
Fuel up, radio check, 11:30 am roll-call.
Travel 142 miles Dunderberg mine camp. (38*6.0046N 119*14.8519W) This will be our camp for the night explore the area.
Sunrise @ 06:30 sunset 19:30 (New moon) it’s going to be dark.
Saturday - Wakeup have breakfast pack up. Regroup up at the center of camp 09:00. Travel 13miles to meet up spot #2) 453 Main St Bridgeport, CA 93517
The United States Shell Gas station prices are 4.80,4.90,5.00. GPS coordinates 38*15.3292N 119*13.8444W
From Highway 182 about four miles north of Bridgeport, turn right on Masonic Road (Forest Road 46).
Turn right on a lesser road and follow to Chemung Mine. Lots of interesting structures to see here.
Side Trip to Masonic Mountain
Turn right here to take a side trip to Masonic Mountain.
A few ruins of stone cabins remain at Masonic Mine. Turn around and return to Point #5, then continue south on what becomes Forest Road 169.
Great views from 9,217-ft. Masonic Mountain. Return to Point #3 and continue east.
Forest Road 168
Forest Road 168 crosses here. Continue east then south on 169.
First View of Bodie Ghost Town
After several shallow creek crossing, you'll come over a rise and get your first views of Bodie Ghost Town below.
Parking Area we will have lunch.
You come in the back way to a main parking area for Bodie Ghost Town. In 1879, Bodie had a population of 10,000. Only 5% of the town remains, but all the remaining structures are original with only minor modifications to help preserve what's left. After visiting the town, continue south out of the park.
Turn right on Bodie Road, marked 270. It starts as a wide gravel road but soon becomes paved. It returns to Highway 395 south of Bridgeport.
I have a few spots: but I am open to some ideas.
Red canyon Petroglyphs.
- Campfires: or Campfire in a can.
- Could everyone please plan to bring a lest one bundle wood for our community fires.
- Ham Radio: 146.500
- Frequencies - Ham Radio is required for safety.🤞🏾
- Spare tire
- Jack that can lift your rig
- Extra fuel - 5 gals minimum or have a friend-help push
- AT rated tires
- Paper Maps minimum
- digital preferred
- Please load the GPX waypoints provided
- Food - Enough for 2 nights and 3 days on the trail
- Water - 1 gallon Per day per person
- Shelter - It will be cool at night (in the 40's)
- BioWaste - Bring and use your Porta Potty
This is an event for DUES-PAYING members only.
If you have never attended a SCOTA event you may attend once as a guest, but must become a full dues-paying member for any future events.